The Palestinians on Monday announced that they will build a large new settlement in the occupied West Bank, where the Israeli government has denied Palestinians access to their land.
In a statement, the Palestinian Authority’s central committee said the new settlement, called Maale Adumim, will include a residential compound that can house around 5,000 Palestinians.
In response to the announcement, the Palestinians issued a statement that called the decision “a mistake” and vowed to “tear down the wall.”
They also called on other Arab countries to join them in building settlements in the West Bank and in the Gaza Strip, where Israel has military bases.
“We are not going to build any more settlements in Palestine.
We will destroy the whole of the land of Palestine and we will expel all settlements in it,” Fatah chief Khaled Meshaal said in a speech on Monday.
He also said the PA would create an “immediate and effective security system.”
In the West, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to meet with US President Donald Trump, who has said he would support the Palestinians in the conflict if they meet their goals.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday reiterated his opposition to the Israeli settlement plan.
The Palestinians have also called for the US to lift its sanctions on the group.
US officials have previously said they are considering lifting those sanctions.
Trump on Monday also urged the Palestinians to accept an end to their six-month siege of Gaza.
The United States has also imposed economic sanctions on Hamas, which controls the Gaza strip, over its refusal to negotiate with Israel over its blockade of the territory.